PinIt!

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins

I'm sure I am not the only one when I say that I don't feel like I have time for myself these days. How often, as moms & wives (dads/husbands too!) do we feel like we have to get X, Y, and Z done before we can relax, and have time for 'us'? (And let's be real, it seems like we have to get the rest of the alphabet done too.) Don't misunderstand, Nate does a lot too, but I'm the one with anxiety, which makes it harder for me to leave things undone.

I've been trying to make a conscious effort lately to do more things for me. (Wow, that sounds selfish. Go back and read the first paragraph if you skipped it. ;) ) One of those things is working on my recipe book, and keeping that updated. If I'm going to do that... time to start blogging more too!

So who loves rhubarb? (Or, easier question: Who DOESN'T love rhubarb??)

Rhubarb is technically nearing the end of its season, but the rhubarb at Grandma's is still going strong. Grandpa does an amazing job of keeping it happy using the right fertilizer (fish, if you were curious), and when we harvest we pull the whole stalk out to enable the plant to keep producing. I keep volunteering to freeze some of it for her, and that means I get to snag some for myself too. ;)

We all have our favorite rhubarb things. Mine just depends on what I'm eating at the time, to be honest. Just give me rhubarb, and I'm good. Jam, rhubarb custard bars, rhubarb crunch, rhubarb pie.... wow, I better get more of that rhubarb in the freezer; when I start listing things like that it sounds like I used a lot more of Grandma's rhubarb than I thought. (Don't worry Grams, I'll get more rhubarb in the freezer for you to take to Florida!)

My new favorite (just because it's the most recent) is these Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins. I love a good muffin, it's a great breakfast/snack for the boys and I. And if I can make it moderately healthy, I feel better about eating it for breakfast. I adapted these from the original, but either way these are pretty healthy-without cutting down on flavor!! They have just the right amount of sweet, the lovely tartness of the rhubarb, and plenty of cinnamon! A perfect combination.



Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins

Ingredients
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unsweetened/natural applesauce *note: sub sour cream or greek yogurt if you don't have applesause!
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, thinly diced *or more... I'm going to try for 2 - 2 1/2 cups next time, I'll update when I do!
Cinnamon sugar mix


Directions
Preheat oven to 400°. Line 15 muffin tins with paper or foils, or grease lightly.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl until well combined. In a separate large bowl, mix together the applesauce, butter, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until just combined. Add the rhubarb and gently mix until combined.

Divide batter evenly among the muffin tins, until it is just shy of being filled. (Careful not to overfill!) Sprinkle each with cinnamon sugar mix.

Bake for 14-17 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool slightly before serving. Best served cool!
Yield/Time
15 muffins
30 minutes
Nutrition Facts
163/muffin


Source (for original): In This Kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment