PinIt!

Monday, November 7, 2016

Nutella Lava Cookies

I've been trying to do posts 3x/week, but Friday fell through the cracks. Mainly because of this nasty cold that's hanging around my house-- the boys are finally feeling better (I hope), but I still am suffering. There's been very little cleaning or baking around my house this past week... and a lot of sitting on the couch wishing I could take naps. Oh well, life as a mama goes on no matter what. ;)

I did manage to get some baking done yesterday, mainly because Nate was kind enough to let me nap for awhile. In the evening, the boys helped me make these Nutella Lava Cookies (with lots and lots of handwashing). I've made them before, and they are always a hit, but never remembered to take pictures. This time I did!

These things are amazing. I'm going to try a variation with peanut butter soon, but I haven't decided exactly what I want to do. Gabriel & I were discussing it yesterday, so I think he's going to help! I love how willing he is to help in the kitchen, and how fascinated he is with the whole process1

These are, like most cookies, best fresh out of the oven. A great alternative is about 10 seconds in the microwave. (However, don't put them in, hit the 30 seconds button, then get distracted.... oops.) They are called lava cookies for a reason-- warm, the Nutella in the center just OOZES out. It's amazing. I could eat half a dozen in one sitting, if it weren't for the massive amount of calories.

The one deterrent with these cookies is that they are time consuming. Give yourself time to make these! The Nutella scoops have to freeze for an hour, then the formed cookies have to freeze also. You can cut the time down to half an hour each if needed, but they are a lot harder to work with--I really recommend going the full hour.

Nutella Lava Cookies

Ingredients
  • 12 tablespoons (24 ½-tablespoons) Nutella
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoonful cornstarch
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • ½ teaspoonful baking soda
  • 1 teaspoonful vanilla
  • ½ teaspoonful salt
  • ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ½ cup butter, at room temperature *if you know me, I always substitute Crisco vs butter. Here, I am not sure how well it would work. If you try it, let me know!
  • ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping

Directions
  1. Scoop out 24 ½-tablespoons of Nutella onto a sheet of parchment paper or silicon mat, then freeze them for 1 hour or until solid.
  2. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whip the butter until soft and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add both sugars and mix together until well incorporated. Mix in the egg and vanilla, then gradually add cocoa powder.
  4. Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips to the bowl slowly. Mix until everything is combined.
  5. Divide dough into 24 equal portions. Flatten into circles, then place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place frozen Nutella scoops in the center of the dough, and wrap dough around Nutella. Cover completely by rolling and forming balls. (This step must be done quickly. Remove only one or two Nutella scoops at a time from the freezer.) 
  6. Sprinkle the tops with few additional chocolate chips and sea salt, if desired.
  7. Freeze the balls for at least 1 hour.
  8. Preheat the oven to 350° and space the balls 2” apart on baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 8-12 minutes. Cookies will flatten out and get crispy on the edges but the center will still feel soft. Let the cookies rest for 15 minutes before removing to cooling rack or serving.

Yield/Time
24 (large) cookies
3 hours
Nutrition Facts
141/cookie

Source (for original): Gastro Senses
Remember, comments are loved! Have you ever tried a lava-style cookie before?

No comments:

Post a Comment