PinIt!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Back in high school, I took a nutrition class. I honestly don't recall much about it (although I am sure I learned a few things), aside from one of the projects. The details are fuzzy, but we had to choose a project to make ourselves. I was on a bit of a cinnamon swirl bread kick at the time (and I am sure Mama thought that was getting a bit expensive), so when I found this recipe I decided it was the one! 

I've had it for years now, but I don't recall where I found it. I have changed it up a bit, but it's still one of my favorite breads to bake. (And was the first bread that I ever made!) The only problem is that it only makes one loaf.... and this goes FAST. Nate, Gabriel & I go through it much more quickly than I would like. I actually recommend making more than one loaf, if you can. It's happier that way!


Printable Recipe

Cinnamon Swirl Bread


Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened (melted is easier)
Directions
  1. In small saucepan, warm milk and 1 tablespoon butter until butter is melted. Set aside until lukewarm. 
  2. In small bowl, mix water and yeast until yeast is dissolved. 
  3. In large bowl, add 2 tablespoon sugar, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Pour in milk and butter. Mix until sugar and salt is dissolved. Stir in yeast and water. Mix in 2 ½ cups flour. 
  4. Turn out onto floured board and knead in the remaining flour or until the dough is soft and smooth.
  5. Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough so that the top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 60 minutes, or until double in size.
  6. Punch down dough with your fist. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 1 minute. Roll dough out into a basic rectangular shape. Use a butter knife or fingers to spread softened butter on the top of rectangular dough. (Pour if using melted butter, then spread slightly with a knife.) Evenly spread about 2 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon on top of butter. (HA! I just pour a lot of cinnamon/sugar mixture on top, until it's pretty thoroughly covered. Don't be shy.) 
  7. Roll up dough and form into loaf. Put into buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes.
  8. Preheat oven 375°. Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. 
  9. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield/Time
1 loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours Cook Time: 45 minutes

Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

162/12 slices

Source (for original): unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment