So, a week or so ago, I volunteered to make cookies for Nate's coworker's going away party. By volunteered, of course, I mean that Nate volunteered me.
I couldn't decide what to make, then I forgot what day it was going to be, so Nate almost had to just take some of the caramels I made last night. (Recipe to follow in a day or so, so stay tuned!)
Then, when Gabriel & I had to make a grocery store run this morning, I splurged & got some egg nog.... which gave me the idea of egg nog cookies! One Pinterest search & a couple hours later, these are packed & ready to go to work with Nate! (Well, some of them. We may have eaten
a couple a lot.)
Between the egg nog & the nutmeg, these just taste like Christmas. And at 111 calories each (for a batch of 40).... you can't go wrong!
I'm going to tell myself that as I eat the remaining half dozen I left out for our family....
Remember, comments are love!
Egg Nog Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 1/2 cup + 3 - 5 tablespoons eggnog, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and ½ teaspoon nutmeg in a bowl; set aside.
- Cream Crisco and sugar in an electric mixer. Add ½ cup eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks. Mix on medium until smooth. Slowly add dry ingredients, mix until smooth.
- Place by rounded teaspoonful onto parchment covered or lightly greased baking sheet. (Alternatively, flour hands lightly and form into small balls.)
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- IF DESIRED: Meanwhile, in small mixer bowl, beat powdered sugar and butter together until well blended; add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Gradually beat in 3 to 5 tablespoons egg nog until icing is desired consistency. (I added the minimum amount, iced half the cookies, then added a little more to ice the rest. My preference, if icing them at all, is the minimum amount of egg nog.) However, these cookies don't even really need the icing. Next time, I'm leaving a lot more without it.
Approximately 3 ½ dozen
1 ½ hours
111 calories (per 40 cookies)