PinIt!

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Jam Tarts! (Or, what to do with leftover pie crusts)

So, do you remember all those pies I've been making? Well, I don't know about you, but every time I make pie crust, I always have extra. I'll eat a bit of it just plain, but my all time favorite thing to do with extra pie crust is make jam tarts.

This is something I would do at my Grandma's house, when I was little. If she was rolling out pie crusts, she would let me use to extra crust. It was always fun, and they tasted so good with the hot pastry shell & jam! It's like a mini, Serena-sized blackberry pie! (Because, of course, you have to use blackberry jam!)

I don't remember exactly how we did it then, but now I roll out the extra, use a cup to cut out muffin tin sized circles, and place the pastry in a muffin tin. Press it in slightly, then add a bit of jam. Maybe 1 to 2 tablespoonfuls? I just plop some in there; there is no measuring. (And, of course, homemade jam is best. I've made them with blackberry, strawberry, & apple jelly; blackberry & strawberry being my favorites of course!) Bake it at whatever you are baking the pie at (350 or 375 usually) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is as browned as you want it to be & the jam is hot & bubbly.

Then try not to burn yourself when biting into that warm deliciousness.

(But if you don't succeed, I don't judge you. I burn myself every time. Every. Time. You would think I would learn to wait like a grown-up.)

Do you have something fun you do with leftover pie crust?

No comments:

Post a Comment