PinIt!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Sugar Cookies

I think that my favorite thing about this time of year is the baking, candy-making, and sharing. I've made 2 batches of peppermint bark, 6 batches of hard candy, 3 (successful) batches of fudge, 1 batch of buckeyes, and 1 batch of Christmas Sugar Cookies. We are keeping some of each for our house, but most of what I have made has been parceled out to family & friends, and I love it!!

These are on my baking list for every Christmas, and have been on the list since before I was the one doing the baking! I can't remember Mama ever getting to Christmas without making at least one batch. (And when the three of us kids were younger, I remember at least a couple years where the cookies were gone long before Christmas, and we would beg for another batch...) 

To me, these are the perfect Christmas cookie. They are slightly crunchy if you don't frost them, but frosting them makes them perfectly soft! 

Remember, comments are love! And may get you on the cookie-tray list next year. ;) 



Christmas Sugar Cookies


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups butter-flavored Crisco
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tubs store-bought frosting (or homemade if desired) (And I know, everyone's first comment when I say that it's Betty Crocker or whatever is "Serena, you use storebought frosting???" But, that's the way Mama has always done it, and I honestly don't think the storebought tastes any better than any homemade recipe I have seen for frosting like this. If you find a frosting recipe for cookies like this that you insist is way better than the can, share it with me!!)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat until fluffy.
  3. Stir together dry ingredients; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. If dough is too sticky to handle, add flour. 
  4. Roll 1/4” thick on well-floured surface, cut with cookie cutters.
  5. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8 minutes. Cool on rack; frost and decorate as desired.
Yield/Time
About 75 cookies
2-3 hours (including decorating)
Source (for original): Mama (and I don't think she even knows where she got this one)



No comments:

Post a Comment