PinIt!

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Grandma Mickey's Buckeyes

Originally published 12/12/13, updated 12/14/16.

Sorry for the lack of posts.... I've been slacking for awhile. Between being busy with various things, and then the 3 of us have been feeling pretty cruddy for a week or so... sorry! 

To make up for being lazy, I'm sharing an AMAZING recipe today. Have you ever had buckeyes? (Some people just call them peanut butter balls, too.) Sweet peanut butter goodness dipped in melted chocolate.... it's absolutely amazing. One batch makes two extra large cookie sheets full of buckeyes... that's a lot of peanut-butter-chocolate-amazingness. And I'm fairly certain that my Grandma makes the best buckeyes ever. You think I'm biased, and I am, but that's also a true statement. I have had completely unbiased people tell me that I make the best buckeyes they've ever had, and since I make them just like my Grandma.... I'm sticking to my "best ever" theory.


However, my Grandma is a lot more brave than I am. When my cousins & I were kids, she would have us over to make buckeyes before Christmas. I don't remember how many cousins could usually make it, but there are 12 of us total, and even if only half of us were there.... that's a big mess. I think she might be a saint.


This is what happened when Gabriel was 'helping' me during the rolling stage...



(I had measured out the powdered sugar, and got a little on the table. That's what he proceeded to do.) 

Since Nate was at work the next day when I went to dip them, I wasn't brave enough to have Gabriel around to help with that too... I did it after he went to bed. Maybe next year...


Anyways, on to the recipe! If you've never had these, I strongly suggest trying them!! They are heavenly. :)


Remember, comments are love! 


Printable Recipe
Grandma Mickey’s Buckeyes


Ingredients
  • 3 pounds powdered sugar
  • 2 pounds peanut butter
  • 1 pound butter, softened
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
  • 1 bar paraffin wax
Directions
  1. Mix together powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter. (Note: You will not be able to do all of this with your mixer. I mix together the peanut butter & butter, then slowly add in the powdered sugar until I am afraid it's going to kill my mixer. At that point, I mix by hand.)
  2. Roll into small balls; refrigerate overnight. (Or freeze for a couple hours, if you want to do it all in one day.)
  3. Melt together chocolate chips and paraffin wax, preferably in a double boiler. Dip balls in chocolate mixture using toothpicks to spear. Drop on wax paper. Chill.
Yield/Time
Approx 100
45 min + cooling, then another 30-45 minutes

Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

179

Source (for original): the best Grandma ever ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment