I love making muffins & quick breads. They are usually fairly sweet, almost always easy, and make a good (relatively) healthy snack for us.
Oh, and added benefit? If you give Gabriel a muffin, he is about as excited as when you give him a cookie. Which means that muffins only last around our house if you accidentally hide them in the fridge. (Oops.)
Awhile ago, I got a few bunches of bananas on clearance at the grocery store. (And by clearance, I mean these bananas were so brown even I wouldn't eat them.... and I eat them when they are pretty brown.) I tossed them all in the freezer, and we've slowly been going through them. The other day I decided a few more need to go, and so Gabriel & I made muffins! He loves to help me in the kitchen.... we have so much fun! We're working on the concept of waiting for the food to be ready.... there were some tears when these muffins came out of the oven, because he couldn't have one right away.
I made muffins this time, but you can just as easily make bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx 3 large or 5 medium) (careful: if you use too much, it will take longer to bake)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350° for bread, or 375° for muffins.
- Grease bottom and 1/2” up the sides of 1 loaf pan OR grease/line with paper 18 muffin tins; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes for bread (it can take up to 15 minutes longer), or 18-20 minutes for muffins. (Or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.)
- If necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking bread to prevent overbrowning. Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Remove muffins from pan immediately and cool completely on wire rack.
1 loaf (16 servings) OR 18 muffins
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 20-60 minutes
Bread: 187 calories
Muffins: 166 calories
Source (for original): Better Homes & Gardens (the red checkered cookbook)