PinIt!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cherry Kuchen Bars

I love baking. (In case you didn't figure that out already.) Even if it's not for me.... and not even something I would eat.

Take, for example, cherry things. I dislike cherries. (Which is funny, because Traverse City is one of my favorite places.) But, my Mama loves things with cherries. So when I see a recipe for something with cherries in it, it always makes me think of her. (I actually made her a batch of chocolate cherry cookies a few weeks ago.... and I just realized I didn't share that recipe!) I stumbled across this recipe for Cherry Kuchen Bars on Pinterest last week, and knew I had to make them soon!

Everyone loved these! I gave some to Mama, and Nate took most of the pan to work to share with his coworkers. (Apparently, they all love me too.) He took them on Friday.... and had requests for me to please bring more Monday.

I tasted the dough, and it tastes a bit like sugar cookie dough, so I can imagine they are amazing--if you like cherries! 

Remember-comments are love! Let me know if you try this recipe!



Cherry Kuchen Bars


Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, divided
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 21 ounces cherry pie filling
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3-6 tablespoons milk
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. In a large bowl, beat shortening, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as possible with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Press dough on to the bottom of an ungreased 9”x13” baking pan, reserving 1 1/2 cups. (NOTE: Original called for a 15"x10" pan, which I do not have. Thus, extended baking times. If you have a 15"x10" pan, check at the minimum time or slightly before. If you have a 9"x13" pan, it will probably need to bake a bit longer. I baked for the max time I have listed here.)
  3. Bake for 12-18 minutes. Remove from oven and spread pie filling over crust. Spoon reserved dough into small mounds over pie filling, pressing down lightly if needed.
  4. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until top is light brown.
  5. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk to make icing. Use enough milk to make into a drizzling consistency.
  6. Remove pan from oven; cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Drizzle with powdered sugar icing.
Yield/Time
32 pieces
1 ¼ hour

Source (for original): Dear Crissy

No comments:

Post a Comment