This Chicken & Spinach Pasta is actually something that was on the original menu, but originally required baking. With some slight adaptation to make it stove top (and a decent amount of adaptation simply because I wanted to), it worked.
It's actually a pretty basic dish, but I really like adding the cream cheese/sour cream for some extra creaminess.
The cutest thing about this was Gabriel's reaction to the spinach/tomato in it. It isn't unusual for me to put (small) pieces of tomato in things, but for some reason he said "icky" when he found a piece at the edge of his plate. I explained that it was tomato & it was yummy, then showed him the spinach & said that was yummy too. So he picked up a piece of spinach, told me "spinach yummy!" then promptly ate it. When we had leftovers the next day, he ate all of the spinach before even touching the pasta. :)
- 16 ounces dry small pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°, if desired. (Baking is not necessary.) Spray a 9”x13” baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta; drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat butter in a large saute pan set to medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic. Saute for 3 - 4 minutes to slightly soften; do not brown.
- Add in cream cheese; stir to melt. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream, milk, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir until everything is well combined and bubbling. Add pasta, chicken, spinach and tomatoes. Add more milk as needed to obtain desired consistency.
- If baking, stir to coat and immediately transfer to baking dish. Add remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- If not baking, add remaining cheese and heat thoroughly.
- Top with basil or parsley for garnish.
Source (for original): Inspired Dreamer