PinIt!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Garlic Cheese Rolls (Product of my Environment)

I was blessed to be raised by an excellent cook. Not only that, but I grew up next to my grandparents, who are both excellent cooks. (Grandpa's more the fried turtle kinda cook, but still.)

That being said, I grew up thinking that good cooks could just throw things in pans without measuring and *VOILA* yummy food magically appears! I am so thankful to have a patient and encouraging husband, because it doesn't always work like that with me. (You cannot convince me that it doesn't always work like that with Mama & Grandma. Maybe by the time I am a Grandma I will have that down...) 

So, with that background, and being a product of my environment, when I saw a blog post about making Garlic Cheese Rolls with no real instructions, my response was to shrug and go "eh, I can make it work." 

I did make sure to write down everything I did--if it works out, it's no fun if you can't make it again! I will admit to being slightly surprised that it worked out as well as it did.... maybe I am actually on my way to being as amazing as Mama & Grandma.

   
Garlic Cheese Rolls


Ingredients
  • 2 ¾ - 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour       
  • 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast  
  • ¼ teaspoon salt   
  • 1 cup warm water (120°-130°)   
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • ¾ cup butter, softened
  • 2 teaspoons garlic 
  • Additional herbs/seasonings, optional
  • 2 cups cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, or colby jack)  (I did mozzarella on the inside, with cheddar on top; ran of of mozz.)
 Instructions
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ¼ cups flour, yeast, and salt; add water and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; then scrape bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Knead in another 1 ½ cups flour; adding up to 2 cups if needed. Knead for 6-8 minutes, to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Cover, let rest for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, beat together butter and garlic, adding additional seasonings as desired.
  3. Roll dough out into large rectangle (approximately 24”x12”). Spread garlic butter to within 1” of edge. (Distribute as evenly as possible.) Sprinkle with 1 ½ cups desired cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style.
  4. Slice into 12-14 rolls, then place in greased 9”x13” pan (or 2 8” cake pans). Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 350°.
  6. Place pan(s) on center rack, bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Yield/Time
12-14 rolls
1 ½ hours

Nutrition Facts
294 calories (12 roll batch)



Before you go mimicking this recipe line for line, remember that this is the first time I made this, and I was basically making things up as I go. (Aside from the dough; I got that from Better Homes & Garden Cookbook.) There are most definitely changes to be made for next time.

As you can see by the picture, I made mine in 2 8" cake pans. I recommend against that; I think it would work better in a 9"x13" pan.They would probably be prettier, and easier to get out.

I added WAY too much butter as first. (As in, drain some off partway through baking. Yeah, it's gross.)  Start with 3/4 cup. For the sake of your arteries. Although, when you have that much butter, I don't know if another 1/4 cup is really going to make a difference... 

To make the garlic butter spread evenly, it may even be easier to have the butter actually melted. I am debating on if I am going to do that next time....

I also have a serious love affair with garlic. Well, I say affair, but my husband is aware and is encouraging it; does that count as an affair? However, if you aren't as much as a garlic fan as I, then you may want to decrease to 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Speaking of love affairs.... I love cheese slightly less than I love my husband. (Most days.) Take that into consideration when I suggest adding another half to one cup cheese.

I got the (rough) idea for this from Raptor Toe.

 If you try these, please please please leave a comment! I would LOVE to hear your input/variation!

No comments:

Post a Comment