PinIt!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Green Chili Enchilada Bake... and my secret confession

I have a confession.

I am afraid of enchilada sauce.

There, I said it. Go ahead, laugh. Get it out of your system.

....

Done? Good.

Now, to explain: I was always a picky eater growing up. If you've met my parents/grandparents, you'll realize that it's almost impressive that I managed to stay a picky eater. I have been working to rectify that & broaden my horizons, but some things I just can't get over.

Like enchilada sauce, beans, & salsa. All three of which are in this recipe.

(It's not like I don't like enchiladas. I love enchiladas. It just happens that my recipe for enchiladas does not require enchilada sauce....which is pure coincidence.)

Salsa I can explain: I don't like to just eat tomatoes.  Have them in something? Sure, as long as it's not the dominant flavor. Just have salsa & chips? Blech. I don't even like to watch Nate eat it. (But being the good wife I am, I still buy salsa & chips for him. See? Don't I get good wife points? ) 

Beans actually make sense. I have yet to find a type of beans that I like the texture of. (I am, of course, not referring to green/yellow beans. Those things are delicious, especially fresh and raw.)

Enchilada sauce isn't so easily explainable. Before I bought it for this, I couldn't even tell you what's in the stuff; I just knew that it's not something I would like. (Then I read the side of the can today, and decided maybe I was better off NOT eating the stuff...) However, if I am going to broaden my horizons, expand my cooking skills, blah blah blah, I need to try it.

Once. 

So, I made this recipe.... cut in half. (Which is actually a very good tip: if you have serious doubts about liking the dish, cut the recipe down the first time you make it. That way, if you have to pitch most of the pan, it's not a large pan.)


Green Chili Enchilada Bake


Ingredients
  • 1 cup mild green enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • ¾ cup salsa verde, mild
  • 12 white corn tortillas broken into 1” pieces
  • 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast
  • 15 ounces black beans, drained
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Tortilla chips (optional)
  • Extra salsa (optional)

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9”x13” baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Place enchilada sauce, sour cream and salsa into prepared baking sheet. Stir until well combined.
  3. Stir in broken tortillas, chicken or turkey and black beans. Stir to combine and top evenly with cheese.
  4. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until cheese is hot and melted. Serve with chips and salsa if desired.

Yield/Time
12 servings
30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
194 per serving


Source (for original): Picky Palate


 I, of course, did not add the beans. Maybe I will be more adventurous next time.

 Hahahahahaha......

No, seriously. Beans are gross. Maybe if I know I am not going to have to eat the dish, I will add some for Nate.

Aside from cutting it in half (and baking in an 8"x8" pan), that was the only change I made. We all liked this well enough, and I will probably make it again. It does have a strong enchilada sauce/salsa flavor, but I think I can get over that. I surprisingly liked it better reheated. (Odd.)

I am going to try making my own enchilada sauce--really, have you read the ingredient list on the cans of that stuff?? I found a recipe on one of the blogs that I follow, but anyone else have recommendations?

As always, comment & let me know if you try this! (Or even if you just feel like commenting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment