PinIt!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Best No Bake Cookies

I'm sure everyone's heard of no bake cookies. Most people instantly envision those little cookies with chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal. (Sometimes butterscotch, but I don't like to think about those--it just seems sacrilegious to take something that could be made in chocolate and NOT make it that way.) I don't know anyone that has never heard of them--and even for those who don't cook, I see these things at gas stations all the time.

Unfortunately, while most people are aware of no bake cookies, most recipes are the same; which means that most are fairly dry and contain wayyyy too much oatmeal. (Unlike chocolate chip cookies, where there is an infinite amount of variations.) This recipe, however, has some slight variations that make a huge difference. (More peanut butter, less oatmeal.)


I have never had any no bakes that were as good as my mama's....without following the same recipe she does. (And I am not just saying that to flatter her; she doesn't read my blog.) She has made them this way for as long as I can remember; and I much prefer them this way! (I usually get compliments from peopl
e who've never had them like this before, too.)



Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite type of no-bake cookie?

Printable Recipe
No Bake Cookies


Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons cocoa
  • ¼ Cup margarine
  • ½ Cup Milk
  • ¾ Cup peanut butter (can use crunchy for extra texture)
  • 2 to 2 ½ cups oatmeal
Directions
  1. Mix cocoa and sugar, set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a saucepan; add milk. Add sugar mixture, stir well. Bring to a rolling boil. 
  3. Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
  4. Quickly add oatmeal and peanut butter, stirring well. Spoon onto wax paper to cool.
Yield/Time
Approx 2 ½ dozen
20 minutes

Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically
134 cal each (for 28 cookies)


Source (for original): my mama. (I have NO idea where she originally got the recipe from.)



When I have compared this recipe to others that I have seen (even doing a quick Google search), most call for decreased amounts of peanut butter (usually 1/2 cup) and increased amounts of oatmeal (3 cups). It's really all down to personal preference, but if you've never had them this way, I would recommend you at least try it! These are much creamier and more smooth than many I've seen.


However, a little bit of advice: 

 
In the years I have been making these, I have learned that the recipe is actually quite particular. For example, Skippy peanut butter does not work with this. I don't know why it happened, but the one time I tried to use that, it ruined a batch. (Think instant hardening.) The batch may have been salvagable, but I seriously needed some chocolate at the time and I was so mad I just threw it all away and started over with Jiff. Jiff, or the Meijer/Spartan brands of Jiff work just fine. (Like I noted in the ingredient list, you can use crunchy peanut butter. It gives it extra texture and a fun change. I personally am not fond of doing it that way, but my in-law's like it.)

Also, using odd brands of butter/margarine don't seem to give it the same texture/consistency. I've tried a few, but at this point I just stick with Country Crock or Imperial margarine. 


The amount of oatmeal changes with personal preference. I add just over 2 cups (one cup, then one heaping cup); that seems to be the preference for my family.


 


That was my breakfast the morning I made these last.

Go on, admit it. You're jealous.

(Just please don't tell my mother that I am still cleaning out the bowl and eating no bake cookies by the spoonful for breakfast when I make them, even as an adult... )

2 comments:

  1. I thought these might be the family recipe (cause mine are pretty famous lol) but the instructions are a little different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to compare cookies lol :D

      Delete