PinIt!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Best Apple Bread

I love fall! And while it was 90+ on Tuesday, we are having some beautiful fall weather now. (What? I live in Michigan. Drastic weather changes are normal.) My birthday is in the fall, it's back to school time (not that it's applicable to us right now, but I like school...), it's hunting season (hello, fresh venison), the leaves change, and.... FALL BAKING. Apples, pumpkins, peaches... I instantly get hungry in the fall because I think of all the things I could bake. 

I haven't done much with fall baking yet (remember the 90+ degrees?); partially because I know as soon as I buy pumpkin I am going to go crazy. I am slightly more reserved about making apple/peach things... but when I make pumpkin streusel muffins, I would be happy to eat nothing but that all day. Not so great when you need to lose weight; I don't think those things are all that good for you...

I did finally do some fall baking though; I made some apple bread! Michigan apples are starting to be available, and I had bought some at the store a couple days before my mother-in-law gave me a couple dozen. So, with a few dozen apples sitting on my counter, I made a couple loaves of apple bread to put in the freezer! 




The Best Apple Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 Cups finely chopped apples
  • 2 Cups sugar
  • 1 Cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
  • 3 Cups all purpose flour
  • 2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 Teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ Teaspoon salt
Instructions
  1. Peel and finely chop enough apples to equal 3 cups. Set aside. (To give you an idea of how many apples: the apples I had for this batch were small, and I used maybe 5-6.)
  2. Stir together sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
  3. Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.) Fold in finely chopped apples.
  4. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured 9”x5” loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.

Yield/Time
Yields: 10 slices/loaf, 2 loaves
Prep/total: 1 hour 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Calories: 207/slice

Source (for original): unknown

I have frozen a few loaves for the last year or two, and they do come out of the freezer well. I love having apple bread (and zucchini bread, and banana bread...) throughout the year, so it works out well. 

Sorry for the lack of nice pictures.... 1) I have a not-so-great camera, and 2) putting bread in the freezer means I don't actually cut into the bread, so no pictures of the inside. 

Just trust me, and make this bread-it's amazing. There's a reason I call it The Best Apple Bread!

Happy Baking!  If you try the recipe, please comment & let me know; I would love to hear what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I love fall baking (and canning) too! We have some apple picked while walking on a local walking trail. They are not the best looking, but I am sure that they will be perfect for this recipe.
    AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy Serena! Fall is my absolute favorite season & I can't wait to pick apples & pumpkins, visit the orchard & bake! So glad you started this blog, love your writing style! :)Andrea D.

    ReplyDelete