PinIt!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Favorite Entree: Cheesy Chicken & Tortillas!


I am one of those people who finds a recipe they really like, then makes it over & over in a short period of time. Much to the annoyance of my husband, who wants things changed up regularly. To compromise, when I have a current favorite dinner, I only put it on the menu about once a month. That's enough that I feel like I am not going through withdrawal, and Nathan will tolerate eating it.

This is one of those recipes! When I first found this, I made it every week or so. Nathan was so incredibly sick of it after a few weeks that he would eat every other leftover in the fridge before he would finish this off. (And by then, I had usually finished it!) Since then, it's been relegated to every month or so. I always get excited when I realize it's been awhile since I made it, as that means I can make it again!

 I love the combination of flavors in taco seasoning, so I get excited when I see a recipe calling for it that's completely different from others I've tried. With this recipe, you can really vary the amount of seasoning to make it as spicy as you want. (Another benefit of making homemade taco seasoning-easy to vary the seasoning without wasting part of a packet of the store-bought stuff.) With Gabriel, I cut down on the spiciness, but it's all personal preference. 

I think that my favorite thing about this recipe is the tortillas being mixed in with everything-- it adds a fun texture/flavor!


 
Cheesy Chicken & Tortillas
Ingredients
  • ½ pound cooked chicken, shredded
  • 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
  • 26 ounces Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (1 large can-if you want to sub with 2 small cans, increase the chicken broth to 1 3/4 cup)
  • 20 taco-size flour tortillas, torn or cut into 1” pieces
  • 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • Hot cooked regular long-grain white rice (I usually cook 3 cups raw)
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 350°.
  2. Mix ½ of taco seasoning with chicken. Add remaining taco seasoning, broth, and soup.
  3. Layer half of the chicken mixture, tortillas, and cheese in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Repeat the layer. (When layering tortillas, be careful not to layer them too thick.)
  4. Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve over rice.
Yield/Time
Approx 10 servings
Prep: 15 minutes Bake: 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
½ cup + ¼ cup rice = 379 cals


Source (for original): Recipe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment