PinIt!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Quick Rolls: One Hour Whole Wheat Honey Rolls!

I love making homemade bread. Love, love, love it. (Especially since I started using my KitchenAid to knead the dough.... now I love it even more.) It works out quite well too, because both of my boys (and I, of course) love eating homemade bread. Even with that, if I see a recipe that makes the process easier and looks delicious, I will try it. So when one of the blogs that I follow posts a recipe for fast, easy, whole wheat rolls with honey.... I'm in

Well, my husband is in, which is more the point. The terms "whole wheat" and "honey" don't do anything for me, but I do try to keep my honey happy. (Yes, I just made myself giggle. Admit it. You think I'm funny, too.)

I was a little bit nervous, seeing that this calls for only wheat flour. Very, very rarely will I do anything with wheat flour without also using regular all-purpose flour. If the wheat is too dominant, I am not fond of the taste or texture. But, I decided to give this one a try, thinking that the honey would sweeten it up a bit.

And, it did. A bit. The wheat was still too strong for me, and even Nate wanted some changes made. Ironically, he thought they were too sweet, in addition to being too dense & wheaty. Gabriel thought they were amazing, but he doesn't turn his nose up at much. (Maybe I am doing something right as a parent....)

I think that, next time (and there will be a next time), I will decrease the wheat and add some all-purpose flour.  Maybe 50/50? However, if you like wheat & honey, I would still recommend trying these rolls as-is.

Now that I've told you what I would change about this recipe, I should probably bring up the things I LOVED about this recipe. One, could this get any easier?? That's always a big plus. Two, I liked that there is a bit of sweetness. They aren't overly sweet, but the honey adds just enough for this girl. 

Remember, comments are love!
 


Have to apologize for the picture.... I took 5 or so, and of course they were all blurry. My photography is atrocious.... Can I blame in on my camera? Sorry!!!

 
One Hour Whole Wheat Honey Rolls

Ingredients
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
  • ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon honey, divided
  • ⅓ cup + 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 - 3 ½ cups whole wheat flour

Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, mix together water, yeast, and ¼ cup honey.  Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
  2. Add ⅓ cup melted butter, salt, and egg. Gradually stir in the flour.  The dough will be sticky but manageable. Cover the bowl of dough with a towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Shape dough into 12-16 balls.  Place the balls so that they don’t touch each other on a buttered cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
  4. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes.
  5. Brush tops of rolls with a mixture of remaining butter and honey.  
Yield/Time
12-16 rolls
1 hour

Source (for original): Heavenly Homemakers

No comments:

Post a Comment