PinIt!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cheesy Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole


I love potatoes, but I don't actually cook with them very often. That usually results in me letting 1/3 to 1/2 of a bag of potatoes get nasty, which always annoys me. I hate wasting food. So, when I've had the potatoes for awhile, I start looking for something yummy & new to hurry up and use those potatoes before they go bad. I had about 1 pound of the 5 pound back left when I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest.

Side note: I seriously love Pinterest. I scoffed at everyone using Pinterest before -didn't see the point- until a friend had a Pinterest birthday party and I had to get on it. The food & drink section makes me happy. There are so many recipes! You just keep scanning pictures til you find something that looks yummy. 

Anyways, back to the recipe. If I don't find anything that looks amazing, I will go with potato soup to use up the potatoes, but I was so happy I found this. Cheese, potatoes, meat... Even some veggies so I can convince myself it's good for us!


The one thing that almost deterred me from making this is the kidney beans. I know, I know. "Serena, I thought you were trying to broaden your horizons, try new things," blah blah blah. I have added various beans to things in the last couple of years, and wound up picking them out while I was eating it. (Nothing quite like having to dissect each bite before eating it....) I think that, next time, I will add the kidney beans. However, the last two new recipes I've tried have failed, and I wanted this to be a definite "yes."

Side note on the failed recipes: one was a cookie bar, and I thought the taste & texture were meh. Nate said they were good so I did wind up giving some to my big brother, Jonah, as part of his belated birthday gift, but it wasn't something I would make again. The second were soft honey spice cookies, were the taste turned out great but they did NOT look anything like the picture, and the texture wasn't what it should have been. Jonah got a lot of those for his birthday too; at least they tasted good. 


See below the recipe for more comments on it....

Cheesy Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole


Ingredients
  • ½ medium onion, diced
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon Mrs. Dash
  • 1 pound small red potatoes, sliced thin
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced (if subbing canned tomatoes, do not drain)
  • 1 cup canned or frozen corn
  • 1 can dark red kidney beans
  • ¼ cup water (skip if adding canned tomatoes)
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
  • Place  all of the ingredients except the cheese in a 4 - 6 quart crockpot and stir well.
  • Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8  hours. Uncover crock pot and sprinkle shredded cheese over top. Recover and let cook an additional 30 minutes.

Yield/Time
6 servings
8 hours

Nutrition Facts
265 calories per cup, using ½ cup beef (324 if using a full pound of beef)


Source (for original): Family Fresh Meals 



I thought I had about 3/4 pound of cooked venison in the fridge (from when I made taco helper), but apparently I had only saved 1/2 pound. Oh well. Still meaty, but I would try to add the full pound or so next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment