PinIt!

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Apple Peel Jelly

Yes, you read that right.

This jelly is made from apple peels and cores. I don't remember where I found this recipe, but I remember thinking "Wow, I can really use the peels and cores to make apple jelly? I don't have to just throw them all away?" I couldn't resist trying it, even though I am not much of a jelly fan. (I much prefer jam.... thick!)

I was pleasantly surprised by how much everyone liked it! It's a favorite of Mama & Jonah's especially, but basically everyone likes it. It is a jelly, so it's not a favorite of mine, but I still like to make it when I have a lot of apples I am peeling. (For example, for applesauce.) It's not any harder than any other jam or jelly, and it uses something you would probably be throwing away anyways. 

And, it makes an awesome Christmas gift. (Don't worry, I haven't blown the surprise. The people who are getting this for Christmas already know they are getting it.... and hopefully looking forward to it too!)

(Again....no camera. Crappy phone picture. Sorry.)
 
Apple Peel Jelly


Ingredients
  • peels/cores from 10 pounds of mixed apples    
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 7 Cups sugar    
  • 1 Package sure-gel
  • 2 cinnamon sticks    
  • Water
Instructions
  1. Pour 2 quarts of water plus lemon juice into a dutch oven. Put the cores and peels into the dutch oven, making sure the liquid covers the solids.
  2. Bring the pot to a boil, stirring occasionally, and boil for at least 20 minutes. Continue boiling until it is reduced to ⅔. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Stir in cinnamon. Put the lid on and let it sit undisturbed until cool, or overnight.
  3. After the mix has rested until cooled, pour through a strainer to separate the solids from the liquid. Patience is key. If you force it through, the jelly will be cloudy (but it won't affect the taste). Measure the remaining liquid. If there is more than 5 cups, discard the excess. If there is less than 5 cups, return everything to the pot, add more water and bring back to a boil for at least 15 minutes. Let it cool and strain again.
  4. Once you have 5 cups of strained liquid, return it to the pot and stir in the pectin. Bring it to a rolling boil on high heat and keep it boiling. Pour in 7 cups of sugar, stirring continuously to dissolve it. Once dissolved, return to a rolling boil and keep it boiling for 2 minutes.
  5. While this is boiling, heat water to boiling. Place 12 half-pint jelly jars in a 9”x11” glass pan; pour water to top of pan.
  6. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Pour the jelly into the half-pint jelly jars, leaving ½” headspace. Wipe the rims, seat the lids and put the rings on finger-tight. Leave in hot water for at least 10 minutes, then remove to cool. Tighten lids as needed.
  7. The jelly may take up to 2 weeks to set. If they are not sealed properly store them in the refrigerator and use within 2 months.
Yield/Time
12 half-pint jars
Total time: 30 minutes + standing


Everyone who has this tells me how amazing it is. Personally, I will stick with my blackberry/strawberry jam, but I suppose if I give this away I'll have more jam for me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment