PinIt!

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Rhubarb Jam

I would guess that most people who know me, know that I am kinda addicted to making jam. But, let's be real here guys: of all the addictions I could have.... jam making isn't too concerning. (Just don't ask my husband about how much sugar I buy during canning season.)

I've made blackberry, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blueberry marmalade
(meh), apple jelly, peach.... And if you ask what my favorite is, I'll be honest: whichever one I had most recently. (Except for blueberry. I am just not a blueberry fan.)

Really, I am just a sucker for whatever jam is in front of me. You should see me in front of the fridge, deciding what to eat. Look at how tasty that is!


There are so many things I love about making jam. The smell of the fruit cooking, burning my tongue eating the warm jam fresh out of the pan, having something tasty and homemade for toast available all year long, giving tasty gifts to people I care about....so many reasons to love making jam. And that's not even getting into how easy jam is to make! I don't have a canner, but with most jams you can use the hot water bath method. (PSA: This is what I've done that works for us, but as always use caution when canning. This is not something to mess around with. There is a reason I don't can tomatoes, or even green beans, without a canner. Botulism is not something to tempt fate with.)

As much as I love jam, and as much as I love rhubarb, I've been procrastinating with making rhubarb jam. It just sounds so intimidating. You must have to do a lot to prep the rhubarb for the jam, right?

No. No, no, no. It's so easy! Boil the rhubarb for awhile. Stir a bit. That's it. It practically mashes itself. If you have extra rhubarb, or can beg/borrow/steal some from a friend, try it!
It's not the prettiest jam, but.... it's one of the tastiest!

(It also makes a great gift for whoever you begged/borrowed/stole the rhubarb from... my grandma and one of my coworkers can attest to that!)

Printable Recipe
Rhubarb Jam

Ingredients
6 cups rhubarb
3/4 cup water
4 cups sugar
1 package sure-jell

Directions
If using the hot water bath method: Wash 6 half-pint jelly jars, bands, and lids in hot, soapy water. Dry completely. When prepared to make jam, place jars in a 9”x11” glass pan. Heat water to boiling.

If using a canner: Use according to canner instructions. Ignore any hot water bath instructions below.

In a large sauce pan, combine the rhubarb and water. Bring to a boil, and then turn down the heat to let the rhubarb simmer until tender and it begins to break apart. (Approximately 10-15 minutes.) Stir occasionally.

(While mixture is cooking, pour boiling water to the top of the glass pan.)

Stir in the pectin until dissolved. Bring back to a boil, and then add in the sugar all at once. Boil hard for a minute longer.

Skim off any foam and ladle the hot jam into the hot jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. Wipe jar rims & threads. Cover with lids and screw bands on tightly. Leave in hot water for at least 10 minutes, then remove to cool. Tighten lids as needed, and check seals.

Store unopened, sealed jars for up to one year. Use any unsealed jars within 3 weeks.


Yield/Time
5 half-pint jars
1 hour
Nutrition Facts
38 calories/tablespoon *nutrition facts are calculated for my use only, not done scientifically


Source (for original): Food Fanatic

Remember, comments are love!

No comments:

Post a Comment