PinIt!

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Chocolate Rolo Stuffed Cookies

I LOVE chocolate. Really, really love chocolate. I'll rarely turn down dessert, and I'm happy to take anything sweet, but it never truly feels like dessert to me unless chocolate is involved. It doesn't have to be complicated. It can be something as easy as No-Bake Cookies. (Which I am known to make practically monthly. If you want something to satisfy your need for chocolate really fast, that's it.) Or, it can be a little more time consuming. Doesn't matter. Sometimes, a lady just needs chocolate.

Thankfully, my husband doesn't laugh too much when he wakes up or gets home and sees more chocolate on the counter. He just goes with it. He even has the kindness to take care of the goodies for me when I am baking late at night, and have to go to bed before they are cooled.

Which is actually what happened with these...

I've been sitting on this idea for a week or so. At the store where I work, we had some candy go outdated.... thus, half price. I can't resist that! Rolo's and Butterfingers, so many options.... I'll post the Butterfingers idea soon. ;)

For the Rolo's, the one thing I knew was that I wanted to do put them IN a cookie. From there, so many questions!

First, I was debating on what kind of cookie. Plain, chocolate, peanut butter--so many ideas! I opted for chocolate because, well, chocolate. (See above.) Can't resist. I used the base for my Reese's Pieces Chocolate Cookies, slightly adapted. I knew I wanted to freeze the Rolo's first, to help them keep their form when baking. Then, of course, I needed to add some more chocolate chips. Mini ideally, but I didn't have those, so I just used regular. Once those decisions were made, the next question was how to handle the dough. To freeze, or not to freeze. Well, why not try it both ways? I made the dough, added the Rolo's, and froze half the dough! The other half, I baked right away.

End results? Absolutely amazing. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Like, forget sharing these. You're going to eat the whole batch. (My coworkers and mama are soooo lucky, because I actually shared. And my children. And my husband.)

I definitely would recommend freezing the dough, AFTER rolling the balls. The Rolo's hold their form much better, and the consistency of the cookie is much softer. If you don't have time to freeze the dough, however, they are still pretty good!

Printable Recipe

Chocolate Rolo Stuffed Cookies


Ingredients
1/2 cup butter-flavored Crisco
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose Flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini is preferable)
3 1/2 packages Rolo’s (24-30 total)


Directions
Freeze Rolo’s, at least an hour before making cookies.
Place Crisco and sugars into a stand mixer, cream until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, salt, & baking soda. Slowly add into wet mixture until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
Form dough into 24-30 small balls. To form cookies: take one ball and make a small hole in the center. Insert one Rolo, then use hands to roll dough into a sphere; ensuring that the Rolo is completely covered. Place onto parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with all balls, placing them 2" apart. Once finished, freeze dough for one hour.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake for 11-12 minutes or until soft set. Be careful not to overbake! They should NOT look completely set! Let cookies cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve and enjoy.
Yield/Time
2 - 2 ½ dozen
Prep/total time: 3 hours (including freezing time)
Nutrition Facts
126 calories each (based on 30 ct) *I calculate nutrition facts for my use only, this is not done scientifically


Source (for original): Original (before being slightly adapted) cookie base: Picky Palate

Remember, comments are love! What would be your favorite candy to put in a cookie?

No comments:

Post a Comment