PinIt!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Cream Of Soup Mix

I've shared before of my dislike of processed foods, and convenience foods. Part of it's taste, part of it's the ingredient list, part of it's the whole "grow your own" revolution. (Hello, farm fresh eggs!) 

There are some things, though, that I was/am sure I can't give up. (We are not going to discuss my caffeine addiction. Really guys, it's gotten better!) My cans of cream of chicken/mushroom soups were definitely on that list. While I was moderately disgusted by them, I was sure that:
#1 I don't want to mess with a liquid in the fridge that will go bad, or something in the freezer I'm going to have to remember to thaw.
#2 It wasn't going to be nearly as convenient. 
#3 It was going to ruin all of my favorite recipes. (Like my Cheesy Chicken & Tortillas!) 

After some recipe searching and contemplating, I determined I could work past #1. I found a few recipes I was willing to try, that stayed in powder form. (Then you add liquid right before use.)

I was right in the aspect of #2, kinda. Making it in the moment is not convenient. But, most thinks like this aren't meant to be made in the moment. My taco seasoning I certainly don't--I make a big batch all at once. This makes a decent sized batch, so after the first time I made it I had a bit to use up, and play with. After making a few things with it and realizing that I was wrong about #3, I made a big batch. I think I multiplied the recipe by 4...

And truthfully? Haven't looked back since. (There are actually a couple cans of the other stuff that need to make their way to the food pantry before they expire...)

In all the recipes I've made with this, which is everything that calls for a cream-of soup since last winter, I haven't had any real issues. I have learned that you sometimes need to decrease the liquid, if adding it to something with a lot of liquid already, but that's about it. 

So, go on. Join the mini-revolution. Have fun, we have all kinds of goodies here. 

Printable Recipe
Cream of Soup
(Yes, the picture is mediocre, but what else am I supposed to take a picture of? It's not any prettier when you add the water. Just better than the canned stuff.)


Ingredients

  • 2 cups dry milk powder
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon onion flakes (I use Onion Onion)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I use Garlic Garlic)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Directions

  1. Mix all ingredients together with a whisk. Store in an airtight container.
  2. To make into soup: Combine 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cups water in a small saucepan. Whisk until smooth. On medium heat, bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until desired consistency. (Cooking not necessary if adding to a recipe, just whisk and add instead of cream of soup. Do not skip the whisking!)
  3. If making cream of chicken soup, add 1 crushed bouillon cube to the 1/3 cup dry mix.
Yield/Time
8 servings
<5 minutes
Nutrition Facts
76 calories per serving *I calculate nutrition facts for my use only, this is not done scientifically


Source (for original): Humorous Homemaking

Remember, comments are love! What convenience foods have you stopped using, or want to?

Tastefully Simple info: If you are interested in making a purchase, you can purchase through my page, or just search and select "Serena Lee" as your consultant. Obviously, if you are not local and already have a consultant.... purchase through them online, or contact them! Shop local, as always! Disclaimer: I am paid a small amount with each purchase, based on sales, made through myself as a consultant. You are helping to support my baking addiction, thank you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment