PinIt!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup

I am, truthfully, not a big soup fan. I'll eat it, occasionally; but not a fan. For some reason, this one got my attention, so I thought it was worth a shot.

It is, most definitely, worth making! Nate was at work when I made it, so he hasn't had it yet, but it was a huge hit with the boys and I! I was lazy/in a hurry when I was putting it together, so I did not dice the potatoes very fine, but I just mashed them a bit in my bowl. The boys didn't seem to have a preference--they were eating the pieces until they saw me mashing it with my spoon, then they mashed theirs too. ;) I would recommend cutting the pieces smaller, but it did work this way if you don't have much time to prep.

Adrian absolutely loved it, and Gabriel announced that the spinach was the best part ever. ;) (We may not be perfect parents, but so far we are at least raising them to be less fussy than their mama was/is!!)

One tip/suggestion/comment-- this does not need to be a crock pot recipe! Next time, I am just going to try stove top, and see how that works! I would recommend simmering all ingredients but the spinach & whipping cream for maybe 20-30 minutes, then adding them for another 15-20. However, since I haven't done that yet, you should definitely watch your times!

Remember, comments are loved! What's your go-to soup recipe?

Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup


Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground sausage
  • ½ tablespoon Garlic Garlic, or 1 clove fresh, diced
  • ½ tablespoon Onion Onion, or 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 4 potatoes, diced
  • Dash salt
  • Dash pepper
  • 4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 cups spinach/kale (Original called for kale, but I usually have spinach on hand)
  • ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
  • Parmesan

Directions
  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage. (If using fresh onion/garlic, add here and saute for a few additional minutes.)  Drain grease from skillet.
  2. In a large crockpot, place sausage, Garlic Garlic, Onion Onion, potatoes, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Add additional water to cover potatoes as needed. 
  3. Gently stir, then cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-4 hours. 
  4. Add spinach/kale and whipping cream, stir, then continue to cook for 30 minutes.
  5. Serve hot, with parmesan. 

Yield/Time
8 servings
3-7 hours
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

278/serving

Source (for original): Homemade Hooplah



Tastefully Simple info: If you are interested in making a purchase, you can purchase through my page, or just search and select "Serena Lee" as your consultant. Obviously, if you are not local and already have a consultant.... purchase through them online, or contact them! Shop local, as always! Disclaimer: I am paid a small amount with each purchase, based on sales, made through myself as a consultant. You are helping to support my baking addiction, thank you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment