PinIt!

Friday, January 6, 2017

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies!

If you are on my facebook, you probably saw my story yesterday, but I hope you'll forgive my re-telling!

My boys were having their afternoon snack yesterday after Gabriel got out of school, and part of it was dried cranberries. (Which they love.) Gabriel announced that we should make cookies with cranberries in them someday. Well, no time like the present--I was already planning on making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies sometime soon, so I asked if he wanted to add cranberries! He was so excited that these were his cookies!

(And no, this never would've occurred to me on my own... Have you ever read the quote "oatmeal raisin cookies that look like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the reason I have trust issues."? Yeah, that's fitting for me.)

We subbed out a little over half of the chocolate chips from my regular oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe for dried cranberries, and he decided to do the rest as a combination of milk chocolate/mini chocolate chips. (I gave him quite a few different options... but you can't just pick one!) They turned out great! I made some as regular chocolate chip, for me, but the boys devoured quite a few of the cranberry ones! They were both fairly heartbroken that they could only have two before dinner.

Next time I might try again and see if he wants to do white chips, which quite a few people suggested, but we'll see. He's his mother's child-- that might not be good enough for him. ;)

My favorite part of all of this is getting the boys involved in the kitchen... I love it!!

Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite oatmeal cookie add in? (I promise not to judge too much if it's raisins!)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies


Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 ¼ cup milk chocolate chips/dried cranberries

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325°. 
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the Crisco and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. 
  3. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls (or form into balls) onto ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake for 11-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Yield/Time
3 dozen
1 hour
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

168 calories/cookie


Source (for original): Radiant Dust


No comments:

Post a Comment