PinIt!

Monday, January 2, 2017

Berry (or Fruit!) Crumble Bars

I know, I know. I live in Michigan.

It's not berry season. Or fruit season. It's cold, and everything is covered in inches (or feet, for the unlucky) of snow.

But let's be real: after the holidays, we all need something that makes us feel good about eating it. Even if it's not really healthy, we can at least pretend.

Well, I'm pretending this morning. (And my little pregnant self thought it sounded good.) 

This is really similar to most other crumble recipes, but I think it's my favorite now. I used it a bit this summer, and it's definitely wonderful. I've only ever used it with berries, but I think it would be awesome with peaches. (Which is going to be my next attempt!)

This is something that, regardless of the weather, will make you feel like summer! 

Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite reminiscent-of-summer recipe?

Printable Recipe
 
Berry (Or Fruit) Crumble Bars


Ingredients
Crust and Topping


  • ½ cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
  • ½ cup light brown sugar, packed

Berry Layer


  • 2 cups berries
  • ⅓ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8” square pan with cooking spray; set aside. 
  2. Combine all ingredients for crust; mix well. Set aside 1 heaping cup for topping. Press remainder evenly into prepared pan. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients for berry layer. Evenly distribute over the crust.
  4. Sprinkle the reserved crumble over berry layer. 
  5. Bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until edges are set and crumble is a golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Yield/Time
16 pieces
1 ½ hours + cooling
Nutrition Facts
140 (using a mixture of blueberries & strawberries)


Source (for original): Averie Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment