After starting to buy local, fresh strawberries a few years ago, I just can't buy them in the store anymore. They just aren't comparable!
The best thing about getting so many and freezing them in the summer is having strawberries all winter! Then, when I stumble across a strawberry recipe... I don't have to use mediocre ones from the store.
This recipe is fabulous! These muffins are perfectly sweet, and full of strawberries! My one complaint is that, using frozen strawberries, they seem to be a bit soggy. That didn't stop anyone else from devouring them, though! (Didn't stop me, either.) I always warn people if I'm slightly less than satisfied with the way a recipe is turning out, and everyone told me with this that they will gladly take my rejects. ;)
If you use frozen strawberries, cut down slightly on the milk. If you use frozen sugared strawberries, the 1/4 cup sugar is not needed! (Unless you want it, in which case I won't judge.)
Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite summer strawberry recipe?
Strawberry Cinnamon Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar *cut out if using sugared strawberries
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk *cut down if using frozen strawberries
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped into pieces
- Cinnamon Sugar Filling/Topping:
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease or line a 15 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl, combine applesauce, egg, and milk. Add to the dry ingredients, and fold in strawberries.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Reserve half and fold the other half into the batter. Fill each muffin cup with about ¼ cup of the batter. Top with remaining cinnamon sugar filling.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
Source (for original): The Recipe Critic