I know it's two days before Christmas, and you are probably expecting more Christmas recipes, but I couldn't wait to share this! This is a great, easy recipe to make with very little effort: perfect for one of the days before Christmas, when you don't have much time!
I've talked before about my not-love of processed foods, but I will admit I love the box mix of Spanish rice. Just to eat, and in my empandas. (Which I just realized I never shared the recipe for... that will come soon!) I kept promising myself that I would try to make it myself, and I finally did!
Overall, if you like the box mix, I think you'll like this! It would be easy to adjust seasonings based on your household's tastes. I started with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, because my little boys don't like too much spice. However, next time, I will definitely add more! 1 tablespoon is fairly light.
I added some cooked, shredded turkey and some cheese to make this a meal!
Enjoy, and have a very merry & blessed Christmas!
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ cup vermicelli, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2-3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes (undrained)
- 1-2 tablespoon taco or fiesta seasoning
- In a large saucepan or deep skillet, saute rice and vermicelli in butter until golden brown. Stir frequently.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth, tomatoes, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done. Add more chicken broth as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Source (for original): n/a