PinIt!

Friday, December 2, 2016

Sugared Cranberries

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We did! We went to my mom's this year (we alternate years with Nate's family and my family.) Great food, time with family, and a happy announcement.... we are expecting baby #3 in June!! We are very excited. The boys are, too! Gabriel said he wanted another brother, but now he has decided he wants a sister. Adrian.... I don't think he grasps yet how much his little world is going to change in June. ;)

This pregnancy is the reason for the current lack of posts... between the nausea, and the exhaustion, I have not been able to stay up past the boys' bedtime to do much of anything. Basic cleaning has been a challenge so far, haha! The exhaustion is getting better now, so I promise to work harder at getting posts up 2-3 times per week. :)

I made, in addition to french silk pie (recipe coming soon!) and pumpkin pie, some sugared cranberries for Thanksgiving this year. I had never had them before, but the recipe looked good so I thought I'd give it a shot!

These were definitely a hit-- with some people! Nate wasn't a fan, but mama and I (and some of my coworkers) loved them. The sugar coating gets fairly firm, so they kinda pop when you bite into them. Perfect! And the tart & sweet combo is great. My only complaint is that they don't last long--one day, and then they don't taste the same. So, either make a small batch or make sure they get eaten!

Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite cranberry recipe?

Printable Recipe
Sugared Cranberries

Ingredients

  • 2 cups water
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 4 cups fresh cranberries
Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in two cups of sugar until sugar dissolves, then remove from heat. Let cool for a few minutes. 
  2. Meanwhile, rinse cranberries and set aside in a medium bowl.
  3. Once the syrup is slightly cooler, pour over the cranberries. Let them sit for a few hours or overnight. 
  4. Meanwhile, pour remaining sugar in a large bowl. Remove the cranberries from the syrup, then add to the sugar. Toss until the cranberries until coated. Place on a parchment paper or cookie sheet, and let dry for a few hours.
  5. Best if served that day. 
Yield/Time
4 cups
Overnight
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

295 calories/ ½ cup (assuming a waste of 1 cup sugar)


Source (for original): Tabler Party of Two

No comments:

Post a Comment