PinIt!

Monday, December 12, 2016

Butterbeer Fudge

So, if you don't know me in real life, you may not realize that I am a Harry Potter nerd.

A huge, huge Harry Potter nerd. Quiz me on HP, and you'll realize my nerd level. I'm quite proud of it. I won't, however, admit how many times I've read the series. (Mainly because I can't remember...)

I've been dying to try making my own butterbeer, but I just haven't liked the recipes I've seen for it. They just didn't sounds quite... right. (I found one today though! Have to buy a few ingredients, but I am hoping to try that, maybe for Christmas!) Same for butterbeer fudge. I had a recipe saved on Pinterest for awhile, but it wasn't a real fudge recipe, to me. I LOVE my fudge recipes, and this one just wasn't right. 

Well, I found another butterbeer fudge recipe recently that l could easily adapt to my fudge recipe!! The original I found on Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt -- I actually just discovered this blog, and I'm going to have to dig through it some more! Again though, it isn't fudge the way I make it, and I really like my tried & true recipe. So, I took some of her ideas and altered my traditional recipe!

Couple of tips/thoughts: 

  1. I only added 1 teaspoon of each extract, she calls for 1 1/2. I just wasn't quite brave enough to put that much flavoring in. Contemplating trying it next time, but I thought it was great, and it has my husband's approval, so... we'll see! If you try it, let me know!
  2. Remember to use a candy thermometer if you have one! I've never successfully made fudge without one. If you can go without, good for you--you must be more awesome than I am!
  3. DO NOT let it come to a boil too quickly. It's not good.
  4. Also, I really don't recommend butter. I always use margarine, I have more success with that. (Country Crock or Imperial being my preferred brands).
Remember, comments are loved and make me happy! (And help me to know that someone is actually reading this!) What's your favorite type of fudge?

Oh, and if you're looking for another fudge recipe-- check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter fudge! Christmas fudge recipe to come soon. ;) 

Butterbeer Fudge

Ingredients
  • 3 cups sugar
  • ¾ cup margarine 
  • ⅔ cup evaporated milk
  • 11 ounces butterscotch chips
  • 7 ounces marshmallow creme
  • 1 teaspoon rum extract
  • 1 teaspoon butter extract
Directions
  1. Line a 13”x9” pan with aluminum foil, leaving excess hanging over the edge for handles.
  2. Mix sugar, butter, and milk in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and butter melts; insert candy thermometer (if using). Slowly bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 234°; remove from heat.
  3. Quickly stir in butterscotch chips until thoroughly combined. Add marshmallow cream and extracts, stir until marshmallow cream is combined. 
  4. Pour fudge into prepared pan; cool. Once completely cooled, remove foil from pan. Place fudge on cutting board to cut.
Yield/Time
3 pounds (approximately 100 pieces)
20 minutes + cooling
Nutrition Facts
58/piece

Source (for original): All Recipes, Cookie Dough And Oven Mitt

No comments:

Post a Comment