PinIt!

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Buttermilk Bread

My Grandma is one of my favorite people in the world. Partly because she taught me most of what I know, partly because she's just amazing, and partly because she shares recipes with me.

Like this one. I have no idea where she got it, but she shared it with me, and that's the important part. I have a few plain bread recipes, but this is by far my favorite. Close your eyes, and imagine biting into warm, fresh homemade bread. The best warm, fresh, homemade bread you've ever had.

It's not as good as this. Promise.

There is something about the buttermilk in this recipe that makes it amazing. I'm sure it's a combination of everything, but I am giving a lot of the credit to the buttermilk. (Unless you have fresh goat's milk! Then use that! I've done that whenever we had goat milk, and had enough extra that my husband wouldn't divorce me for using it in my baking. He tends to hoard the stuff when we have it.) The taste and texture of this are perfect.

Yes, in the picture I cut the slices really thick. Try this bread, and tell me you wouldn't do the same. You don't even need to butter it. Just eat it warm, fresh, and perfect.

Buttermilk Bread


Ingredients
  • pinch of ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • ¼ cup warm water
  • 2 cups warm buttermilk (or goat's milk!)
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • 6 cups flour, divided
  • ¼ cup butter, melted, cooled until only warm to the touch + extra

Directions
  1. Mix the ginger, sugar, yeast, and water; set aside for five minutes. Add buttermilk, honey, salt and baking soda with the yeast mixture. Add 3 cups flour and mix with electric mixer about 5 minutes on low speed, til smooth. Mix in butter until it is totally incorporated into batter.  Add remaining flour, one cup at a time, keeping mixer on low. When dough pulls away from sides of bowl remove from bowl to floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. (Can continue to knead in mixer.)
  2. Place in greased bowl and let rise 1 - 1 ½ hours. Meanwhile, grease 2 loaf pans.
  3. Punch down and roll out/form into 2 loaves and place into prepared pans. Let rise 30-45 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 400°.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush with melted butter (optional). Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out and cool on rack.  

Yield/Time
2 loaves, 12 slices each
3 hours
Nutrition Facts
146/slice


Source (for original): my amazing grandma
Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite bread recipe?

2 comments:

  1. Just made this one. My whole house smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! That's one of my favorite things about making bread... the house always smells heavenly!

      Delete