PinIt!

Friday, September 9, 2016

Double Chocolate Junior Mint Cookies

I love Junior Mints. I could eat an entire box in one sitting, and be quite happy about it. (And have nice breath! See, if they give you good breath, it's a health food! .... right? No?) 

Anyways... I am always up for chocolate, and I am always up for Junior Mints. So once I saw this recipe, there was no going back. It's full of chocolate, with surprise bites of Junior Mints scattered throughout. You can't possibly go wrong! Unless, of course, you're one of the few people who are not big fans of Junior Mints.... like my husband. His reaction was pretty much "meh." Not a dislike, but he would never request that I make these.

However, my mama, who I inherited my massive love of Junior Mints from, absolutely loved these. I made these for her birthday a few years ago, and I think it completely made her day. It certainly made mine! 

My siblings & I don't do birthday presents for each other anymore, we haven't for quite awhile. (Now that we're all officially grown ups, at least in age.) The same goes for my mama, most of the time. She doesn't want presents, but she never turns down cookies. ;) Actually, her birthday is coming up next month, so maybe I'll make her another batch of these... we'll see what I find on Pinterest in the meantime! 

Note on the recipe itself: I've said this before, but freezing cookie dough is my new favorite thing. It makes a huge difference, especially with a recipe like this, with the crushed Junior Mints. It is a must for this, and you should definitely try it with some of your other cookie recipes!

Printable Recipe
Double Chocolate Junior Mint Cookies


Ingredients
  • ½ cup butter flavored Crisco
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 4 ounce box Junior Mints

Directions
  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the Crisco and sugars until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing to combine. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, mixing to combine.
  2. Stir in chocolate chips then smash in Junior Mints. All mints need to be completely smashed into the dough. Chill dough for a couple hours or overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°, and line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  4. Form cookies into small balls, or drop by tablespoonful onto prepared cookie sheets, 1” apart.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until baked through. (8-10 minutes for smaller cookies). If mints ooze out of cookies, use a butter knife to form cookies back to round shape right out of the oven when hot. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Yield/Time
2 dozen regular, 3 dozen small
1 hour + chilling time
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically
158 (26 ct), 105 (39 ct)


Source (for original): Picky Palate

Remember, comments are loved! What your favorite cookie to give?

No comments:

Post a Comment