PinIt!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Herbed Wheat Muffins

My husband, Nate, doesn't have nearly as much of a sweet tooth as I do. Sometimes that's disappointing, sometimes it's just a fun challenge! I stumbled across this recipe when we were engaged, when he had a rough day and I wanted to show him how great of a wife I would be. ;)

I've made it quite a few times since then, but much more often in the last year. That is largely due to the fact that I acquired a tarragon plant at the farmer's market--this is one herb that's pretty expensive, and I'm too cheap to buy that very often. Now we always have plenty! (And usually have some to give away, if I'm keeping up on drying it! So, local readers... let me know if you need some!)

I will admit, this is a very healthy-tasting muffin. (So.... not my favorite.) Nate loves them, and so does my mom. The boys are touch and go--sometimes they will devour the batch, sometimes they hardly touch them. If you are looking for a good, healthy, breakfast or snack--try these!!

Herbed Wheat Muffins


Ingredients
  • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ⅔ cup all-Purpose flour
  • ¼ cup wheat germ *or cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ Teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ Teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ⅔ Cup buttermilk 
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ½ Teaspoon dried basil
  • ½ Teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 2 Tablespoon butter, melted



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray (or use muffin liners).
  2. In a small bowl, combine the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
  3. Combine the egg, buttermilk, honey, and butter; stir into dry ingredients until just moist. Fold in basil & tarragon.
  4. Fill prepared tins ¾ full with batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.

Yield/Time
Yields: 8
Prep Time: 15 Cook Time: 20
Nutrition Facts
162 (using buttermilk sub)


Source (for original): Cooking for Two
Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite healthy muffin?

No comments:

Post a Comment