PinIt!

Friday, September 23, 2016

(Healthier) Banana Muffins/Bread

We all, at some point or another, have bananas that get past their prime. I usually don't eat bananas until they are all speckly brown (about 2 days before they turn themselves into banana bread), but the boys will eat them whenever. Bright green, pretty yellow, almost completely brown... Adrian, especially, doesn't care. "Ba-nana, ba-nana!" With his love of bananas, we don't have nearly as many that get over-ripe, but with the humidity this summer it happened more often than not. Once that happens, our usual preference is banana muffins. I love making my traditional banana muffins/bread, but I have adapted that over the years to be a bit healthier. 

I honestly prefer these over my more traditional recipe. Knowing that it's healthier for me is a great, and I love the oats in this! Oats in muffins are some of my favorite things. They add a bit of texture, and some great health benefits.

In general, I love making things like this. Using up bananas that would otherwise go to waste, and making something that all my boys enjoy (and myself!), is a win-win situation!


Printable Recipe
Banana Bread/Muffins, Healthified
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ¾ cup rolled oats
  • 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ¾ cups mashed bananas (approx 3 large or 5 medium)
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil or applesauce

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° for bread, or 375° for muffins.
  2. Grease bottom and ½” up the sides of 1 loaf pan OR grease 18 count muffin tins; set aside. Combine flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and applesauce. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake for 55-60 minutes for bread, or 18-20 minutes for muffins. (Or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.) If necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking bread to prevent overbrowning. *note: it may just be me, but I always have to cook the bread about 10-15 minutes longer.
  5. Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. 
  6. Remove muffins from pan immediately and cool completely on wire rack. 

Yield/Time
1 loaf (16 servings) OR 18 muffins
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 20-60 minutes
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically
Bread: 120  
Muffins: 106
(using applesauce)

Source (for original): Better Homes & Gardens, adapted

No comments:

Post a Comment