PinIt!

Friday, October 28, 2016

Apple Betty

With all the apples we got from the orchard a couple weekends ago, I've had a lot of apple recipes tossing around in my mind. Trying to decide what to bake is always hard.... so many ideas, so many options! (Hint: don't search apple recipes on pinterest. It is slightly overwhelming!)

However, this is something that always make it onto the list. Apple Betty is similar to most fruit or berry crunch recipes. Fruit/berry on the bottom, flour & sugar mix on top. I've considered adding oats, to make it seem more healthy... but I've never actually tried it. Maybe next time! Either way, this is AMAZING. I could eat the whole pan. I'd feel horribly sick, but I think it would be worth it....

I have no idea where she originally got it, but I got this recipe from my mother in law. We were downstate visiting them one weekend, and she made this for us. I immediately told her I needed the recipe. Everyone else ate it with ice cream... forget that, I just want two servings. ;)


(Excuse the poor picture, I forgot to take one of the whole pan... it was mostly gone, and I had some in a bowl before I remembered!)
Apple Betty

Ingredients
  • 4 cups sliced pared tart apples
  • ¼ cup orange juice (optional, I never use this-if I remember right, neither does my MIL.)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¾ cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • dash salt
  • ½ cup butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Mound apples in a greased 9” pie plate (or 9”x9” baking pan). Sprinkle with orange juice, if desired.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; sprinkle over apples. 
  4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is crisp. *Watch time! Usually done early.
  5. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Yield/Time
9 servings
1 hour
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically

245/serving

Source (for original): my mother in law
Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite crisp or crunch recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment