PinIt!

Monday, October 31, 2016

Sugar Cookies

I originally published this post a few years ago, but the time is ripe for a re-publication. 

Mama's recipe for sugar cookies is something that I have never, ever tweaked. I am a person who has to always play with recipes, so for me to say "this is perfect, and needs no changes" is quite something. These are on my baking list for every Christmas, and have been on the list since before I was the one doing the baking! I can't remember Mama ever getting to Christmas without making at least one batch. (And when the three of us kids were younger, I remember at least a couple years where the cookies were gone long before Christmas, and we would beg for another batch...) 


However... these aren't just a Christmas thing. The boys and I usually go over to mama's to make cookies for most of the major holidays. Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's day... if Mama & I have cookie cutters for the occasion, we probably make sugar cookies for it. ;) 

This year, we made the Halloween cookies at my house. (Gabriel directed mama on which sprinkles to use, but she actually put the sprinkles on... which was probably best, so he didn't use all the sprinkles up before we were done decorating!)

To me, these are the perfect sugar cookie. They are slightly crunchy if you don't frost them, but frosting them makes them perfectly soft! 


Printable Recipe

Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 ¼ cups butter-flavored Crisco
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ cup milk
  • 2 tubs store-bought frosting (or homemade if desired)
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat until fluffy. 
  3. Stir together dry ingredients; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. If dough is too sticky to handle, add flour. Roll ¼” thick on well-floured surface, cut with cookie cutters. 
  4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8 minutes. Cool on sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to rack. Frost and decorate as desired. 
Yield/Time
About 75 cookies
2-3 hours (including decorating)
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically
127


Source (for original): my mom

No comments:

Post a Comment