PinIt!

Monday, October 3, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

In general, I prefer cookies over most other desserts. That can, of course, vary with my mood, but I'd say that's a good general rule. Next would be some type of bar... like Davy Crockett Bars, glazed peanut butter bars, or cheesecake brownies. (Yes, that counts as a bar. Accept it.) I don't try new bar recipes very often, simply because I would rather try a new cookie recipe.

However, I made an exception for this one awhile ago, and wow I am glad I did! These are slightly similar to my Davy Crockett Bars, but without the oats and a bit more gooey. Also, shockingly, I have apparently never posted the recipe for that on here. If you know me in real life, you know that's one of my classic recipes. Mama's been making it as long as I can remember, and I've been making it since I moved into my own place. I think that just made it onto my meal plan for the week, so I can get a pic and share the recipe!

In the meantime, these are amazing. Gooey, sweet, and chocolatey.... perfect! A great way to warm up your kitchen on a chilly fall morning! If you feel like your chocolate need is great, you could double or triple the "drizzle" and turn it into a glaze, if needed. ;)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Ingredients
  • ½ cup butter flavored Crisco
  • ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. Beat the Crisco and both sugars together for several minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined. 
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips.
  4. Press the dough into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges and corners. 
  5. Bake 25 minutes, until the bars are fully set and lightly browned on top.
  6. While bars are baking, melt the remaining chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle over the bars while warm. Let cool before cutting and serving.

Yield/Time
25 bars
45 minutes
Nutrition Facts
158/bar

Source (for original): Picky Palate
Remember, comments are loved! Do you have a favorite bar recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment