I love donuts. Love, love, love donuts. (My waistline doesn't. Oh well. I only ever eat them in the fall, so that makes it ok... right?) Pumpkin donuts and these apple cider donuts are my favorites! I've been making these for a few years, and we always go through them pretty quickly. I won't tell you how quickly we went through the 5 dozen donut holes.... but it was fast enough we didn't have to worry about them going stale. ;)
This being apple season, I'm sure I'll make these a few more times! Only problem is the cost of the apple cider. WOW. I don't know about you guys, but it's crazy how expensive apple cider is. I don't buy it unless it's on sale... and even then I'm fairly
cheap frugal, and don't buy it very much.
These donuts are totally worth it, and really don't call for a lot of the cider. (Oh, you may want to cut the recipe in half or so.... it does make a lot.) They are great to make as donut holes, especially for little fingers! As with the pumpkin donuts I make, the cinnamon sugar coating is optional. I usually do about 3/4 with coating, and 1/4 without coating. Either way, they get devoured!
Spiced Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cinnamon sugar mix
- Simmer apple cider over medium heat in a small saucepan on the stove for 15-20 minutes. Add cinnamon sticks, spices, and/or orange slices for flavor if desired. Simmer down to ¾ cup, then remove any cinnamon sticks/orange slices. Cool in the refrigerator (or freezer) to room temp.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a mini muffin pan/donut pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until smooth. Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and concentrated apple cider.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk until all ingredients are just combined; some small lumps may remain. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the mini muffin pan, filling ¾ full. If making donuts, fill donut pan ⅔ to ¾ full. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The donuts will take the same amount of time.
- After baking, dunk the warm donuts all the way into the cinnamon sugar, mixing it around so the entire donut is coated. Repeat with all the donuts, if desired.
5 dozen donut holes/28 donuts
Nutrition Facts *I calculate nutrition facts for reference only, this is not done scientifically
Without sugar: Holes: 52 donuts: 77
With sugar: Holes: 64 donuts: 138
Source (for original): Sally’s Baking Addiction
Remember, comments are loved! What's your favorite homemade donut recipe!